Tipping Competition2021

Wakefield claw Tigers - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:23:00 GMT
Wakefield compounded Castleford's derby woes this season, with a hard-earned 32-16 win at Wheldon Road on Saturday.

16 points from stand-off Danny Brough, two Damien Blanch tries and scores for Matt Blaymire and Jamie Rooney proved too much for a spirited Castleford outfit.

The result consigned Castleford head coach Terry Matterson to his third defeat from three games against John Kear's rivals Wakefield.

Luke Dorn opened the scoring in the fifth minute.

A neat grubber kick into the danger zone by stand-off Ryan McGoldrick was pounced on by Dorn in the in-goal area, before Kirk Dixon added the extras to give the home side an early 6-0 lead.

The visitors replied with immediate effect, though.

On the end of two consecutive sets, a Danny Brough grubber kick ricocheted off the foot of Awen Guttenbeil and straight back into the arms of Brough, who gratefully touched down over the whitewash.

He converted his own try to level it up at 6-6.

Wakefield weren't level for long, though, and fell behind again within minutes.

McGoldrick, creator of Castleford's first try, proved too strong for the Wakefield defence, and crashed onto the whitewash under pressure from tacklers. Dixon failed with the touchline conversion.

Wakefield hit the front midway through the half.

Dorn sent wide a risky long pass deep in Castleford's half, and wingman Damien Blanch snatched it from the grasp of McGoldrick to saunter through to the try-line under the sticks. Brough added a simple two points to give the visitors a 12-10 lead.

In the 30th minute, Wakefield missed a good chance to edge further ahead.

Guttenbeil was penalised for interfering with prop Kyle Bibb in the tackle.
After Castleford were pegged back ten yards for dissent, Brough attempted to give Wakefield a four-point lead with the penalty. His wayward with his attempt meant the score remained 10-12.

Wakefield endured incessant Castleford pressure in the minutes leading to half-time, and after 19 plays only brave defence had kept the home side out. Matt Blaymire then hit the home side with a sucker punch right on half-time.

Youngster Sean Gleeson brilliantly found Blaymire, who weaved through a gap in the home defence to dive over under the posts. Brough added the extras to give the visitors a priceless 18-10 lead at the interval.

Wakefield nearly stretched the lead further just after the break, but centre Tony Martin failed to put sufficient downward pressure on the ball on the end of yet another dangerous Brough grubber kick.

Minutes later Brough added to his already shining impact on the game with a superb 40-20 to put Castleford on the back foot.

Dorn cut the gap back to just two points with his second try in the 54th minute, after patient build-up had eventually carved a gap in the Wakefield defence. Dixon added the extras to make it 18-16 to the visitors.

Stand-off Jamie Rooney restored the visitors’ eight-point cushion with 15 minutes to play. Quick running around the defence by Sam Obst opened up space, he released Gleeson who had the ball ripped out of his hands.

Rooney pounced on the loose ball in front of the travelling fans, before Brough kicked his fourth conversion from four to put Wakefield in the lead 16-24.

Brough added to his tally seven minutes later with a penalty, after Castleford scrum half Scott Moore had been caught offside by referee Ian Smith.

Damien Blanch put the game well and truly out of reach with two minutes on the clock.

He picked up a loose ball as Castleford went in search of a late revival, and raced the length of the pitch to score near the sticks.

Brough added his fifth conversion of the game to give the result a slightly flattering look - 32-16.

Castleford – 16 [T: Dorn (5, 54); McGoldrick (13); G: Dixon (6, 55) ] Wakefield – 32 [T: Brough (9); Blanch (20, 78); Blaymire (40); Rooney (66) G: Brough (10, 21, 40, 67, 73, 79)] HT: 10-18 Ref: I Smith Att: 8,236
- Read More, Here