Tipping Competition2021

Storm strike back - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:45:00 GMT

Melbourne scored the ultimate revenge against Brisbane on Friday night with a 28-8 win to end the Queensland team’s undefeated start to 2008.

The Storm began the match with statistics on their side, never losing three games in succession under Coach Craig Bellamy, and winning the past six of seven matches against the Broncos.

The Broncos, on the other hand had history against them, not winning the opening four matches of the season since 2003, and scoring only 14 points and conceding 114, in their past four visits to 'The Graveyard'.

Siding with statistics, it was the Storm that opened the proceedings with Billy Slater dashing through the Bronco's defence to pass off just in time to set up Antony Quinn for the Storm's first try.

Cam Smith lined up for the conversion and did not disappoint, putting the Storm out at an early 6-0 lead.
Isreal Folau showed his future teammates at the Broncos what he was made of, taking a strong grab over Denan Kemp from a high ball and driving it over the line to put Melbourne on the scoreboard for a second time.

Smith took the kick to score his second conversion of the night, putting the Storm out to a 12-0 leading margin.

The Broncos opened their account shortly after with Reece Robinson making an impressive dash down the line to score Brisbane's first try.

To the delight of the hostile Melbourne crowd, the Broncos were unable to convert, leaving the scoreboard to show 12-4 in favour of the Storm.

Strong defensive work by the Storm, and mismanagement of possession by the Broncos prevented another quick reply and set up Melbourne to bring the ball down rapidly for Ryan Hoffman to score their third try.

The scoreline was stretched to 18-4 as Smith converted for a third time, and gave the Storm a 14-point lead at the half-time break.

If the first half was anything to go by, the Storm looked set to put their 2008 season back on track following an explosive display in the opening term.

The kept up their impressive form in the second half, with a strong tackle on the try-line preventing the Broncos from scoring the opening try of the half.

At the other end of the field, an opportunity went begging as Greg Inglis dropped a sitter that should have resulted in Melbourne opening the scoring for the term.

The Storm's Adam Blair was placed on report in the 53rd minute for a controversial tackle on the Bronco's Michael Ennis.

After several scoring opportunities, it was the Broncos that scored first in the second term with a quick set up from Captain Darren Lockyer sending David Stagg over the line.

Again, the Melbourne crowd taunted the Broncos' Michael Ennis as he failed to convert for a second time, leaving the scoreline at 18-8.

The Broncos looked to have gained momentum as Stagg again took to the ball over the line a second time, but to the relief of the Storm, the try was disallowed by the video referee.

Despite several strong efforts from the Broncos, it was the Storm that again broke through as Quinn dived over the line to score his second try of the night.

The Melbourne crowd celebrated as Smith scored his fourth conversion, putting the Storm out to a 24-8 lead as the match came into its closing stages.

But Melbourne was not done yet. Quinn, in an almost identical position as moments before put the ball down for his third try, marking the Storm's fifth for the evening.

The scoreboard showed 28-8 as the siren sounded, signalling the Storm's return to form and the end of the Bronco's three match winning streak.

STORM 28 (Tries: Quinn 3, Folau, Hoffman; Goals: Smith 4) def. BRONCOS 8 (Tries: Robinson, Stagg) at Olympic Park - Read More, Here