Tipping Competition2021

Saints topple leaders - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:33:00 GMT
St Helens inflicted Brian McLennan's first back-to-back defeat as Leeds coach on Friday night, with a gritty 26-12 win at Headingley.

Francis Meli grabbed two tries for the Challenge Cup holders, as Leeds finished the match with 12 men following Nick Scruton's sending off.

That result really turns the heat up on the league leaders.

The reigning Super League champions held a six-point advantage at the top just two weeks ago, but now hold a slender two-point lead at the top with nine rounds of the regular season still to play.

The game got underway after a perfectly-observed minute's silence in memory of former Great Britain, Wakefield and Hull FC half-back David Topliss, who died suddenly in midweek.

The game began as tightly as expected, with neither team giving an inch in a highly defensive opening.

11 minutes in, Leeds had a golden opportunity to take an early two-point lead.

Hooker Keiron Cunningham was penalised for offside right under the sticks, but Leeds opted to take the quick tap instead of the simple kick, and were left to rue the decision after coughing up possession on the second tackle of the set.

Prop Ryan Bailey was placed on report by referee Steve Ganson on 16 minutes, after a dangerous 'chicken wing' tackle on Maurie Fa’asavalu.

Leeds nearly went ahead on the half’s halfway mark, after stand-off Danny McGuire found a rare gap in the visitors' defence.

Untypical of Leeds, though, he ran into St Helens defence without any lateral support, and was forced to offload to loose forward Gareth Ellis, who was wrapped up by recovering tacklers.

Two minutes later, prop Maurie Fa'asavalu silenced the home crowd with the opening score under the sticks. Leon Pryce found a chink in Leeds' armour, and he switched the ball back to Fa'asavalu, who sauntered through the space to emphatically touch down under the sticks.

Sean Long added the two from right under the posts to give the visitors a 6-0 lead.

Their lead lasted no more than five minutes. With ten minutes of the half to play, Leeds skipper Kevin Sinfield took advantage of incessant pressure.

St Helens looked to have survived the pressure, but had to defend another set after being caught offside.
On the end of the next set of six, a clever McGuire grubber kick was pounced on by Sinfield, who converted his own try to tie it up at 6-6.

St Helens walked into the sheds in front, though.

A superb Long grubber kick ricocheted off the padding on the sticks, and it was Bryn Hargreaves – hat-trick hero in last weekend's 58-20 defeat of Bradford – who gratefully dropped on the bouncing ball.

Following his wonderful kick to set up the try, Long somehow missed the conversion from close range, leaving the visitors with a 10-6 interval lead.

Just four minutes after the break, kiwi wingman Francis Meli stretched the visitors' lead with a try in the corner.

A Leeds knock-on put them on the back foot, and after patient build-up play from the St Helens backs, quick passing along the line saw Meli take full advantage in the corner.
Long again failed with the conversion attempt, so the scoreline stayed at 14-6

Things went from bad to worse for the home side midway through the second half, as they were reduced to 12 men.

Cunningham fell victim to a dangerous spear tackle by Nick Scruton, who was immediately dismissed by Steve Ganson.

Cunningham was lucky not to pick up a serious neck injury after being dumped on his head, and Ganson showed no hesitation in showing Scruton the red card.

Within minutes, St Helens had fully exploited their man advantage.

The Talau-Meli combination again worked wonders on the left flank, and almost identically to the first try of the half, Meli dived over in the corner to spark a melee in the visiting crowd behind the goal.

With 15 minutes on the clock, Leeds' top try-scorer Scott Donald found hope with a try in the corner.

Quick hands along the line resulted in wingman Donald - making his 87th consecutive start for the club - scoring in the corner, before Sinfield landed a superb touchline conversion to bring Leeds within a converted try of a draw.

With ten minutes of the game remaining, Leon Pryce effectively sealed it.

Following up a high Long kick, Pryce was on hand to pluck the ball from the air and from Brent Webb's grasp to touch down next to the sticks.

Long finally kicked his second conversion of the game from underneath the sticks to restore his side's 12-point cushion.

Long put any hopes of a stunning Leeds comeback well and truly to bed with a late penalty after prop James Graham was caught with a high tackle.

The victory is St Helens' 11th on the trot in all competitions, as their unstoppable mid-season form and assault on top spot continues.
They now look full of belief, and would be full value for a top-placed finish come play-off time, while Leeds are showing their first signs of self-doubt.

St Helens – 26 (Fa'asavalu (24); Hargreaves (34); Meli (44, 55); Pryce (69) tries; Long (24, 70, 77) goals) Leeds – 12 (Sinfield (29); Donald (64) tries; Sinfield (29, 65) goals) Half-Time: St Helens 10-6 Ref: Steve Ganson Crowd: 18,303. - Read More, Here