Tipping Competition2021

Roosters streak over - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:17:00 GMT
A second half resurgence by the Brisbane Broncos was enough to end the roosters one-week winning streak at the SFS on Friday night.

Despite what seemed a legitimate try being disallowed, the home side went into the break six points ahead before unknown halfback Peter Wallace orchestrated three tries and four goals to steal the game by the 80th minute.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett warned there is a lot more to come from his new playmaker.

“There are aspects he can do a lot better,” he said on nrl.com

“He has a lot more to offer the team than he is showing us at the moment.”

The Broncos posted an early lead in just the third minute when Wallace’s grubber bedazzled tricolours back rower Craig Fitzgibbon for David Stagg to post a 6-nil lead.

But the joy was short lived as a lovely chip kick into the in goal area allowed Braith Anasta to even the score on 17 minutes.

The playmaking star then found himself on the receiving end, copping a heavy shot from fullback Karmichael Hunt that split his nose, forcing him from the field.

Hunt was then placed on report for the 18th minute hit which broke Anasta’s nose.

A man short, more drama ensued midway through the first half when the Roosters found the try line only to be pulled back by video referee Stephen Clark for obstruction.

It was left to Anthony Topou to restore the status quo, barging his way over the line to take his side into the break 14-8 in front.

Now whether it was a word from coach Wayne Bennett or the players changed jerseys, it was the Broncos who came out of the sheds firing.

A lovely inside ball from Wallace to a charging Tony Carroll left a gaping hole in the Roosters defence, allowing the Queenslanders to even the score just three minutes in.

And the halfback was at it again when his perfectly waited grubber kick was just enough for winger Darius Boyd to get a hairs width in front of Anthony Minichello to score the try.

In search of a reply, the Roosters were once again denied a try on 71 minutes when winger Shaun Kenny-Dowall’s foot went a hens tooth onto the touchline.

With five minutes remaining and 20-14 ahead, Brisbane five-eighth Darren Lockyer missed two field goal chances to close out the match, but ultimately the Broncos did enough to take the two competition points north.

Brisbane have now strung together back-to-back wins from the opening two rounds for the first time since 2003.

In other NRL action Canterbury changed last week’s scri pt entirely and played the role of underdogs to come back from 12-0 down to defeat South Sydney 25-12 at ANZ Stadium.

Brisbane 20 (D Stagg, T Carroll, D Boyd tries; P Wallace 4 goals) d roosters 14 (B Anasta, A Tupou tries; C Fitzgibbon 2 goals) at SFS Stadium. Referee: J Maxwell. Crowd: 18,724. Penalties: Broncos 7-9; Line Breaks: Roosters 6-1; Completed Sets: Broncos 31/39, Roosters 26/45. - Read More, Here