Tipping Competition2021

Belrose get the Blues - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:52:00 GMT
The Cabramatta Two Blues extracted a measure of revenge on Belrose in round 15 of the Jim Beam Cup after running away with a 29-22 victory at Cabramatta Sports Ground.

Undefeated at home since going down to the Sydney Bulls back in March, the 5th placed Blues were entitled to be favourites heading into this clash against another probable finals contender.

However in their previous meeting at Lionel Watts Reserve back in round four, it was Belrose who snatched the two competition points in a very physical tug-of-war.

Poised with a point to prove, the Blues applied plenty of pressure early in the game, receiving the opening penalty while delivering some nicely timed heavy hits which hurt the ball-handling of the Eagles.

The good start paid off for Cabramatta in the 23rd minute when Hala Katoa grabbed the opening try of the afternoon after collecting the ball from a cross field kick before eventually grounding it left of the posts.

As was the case in their last clash, Belrose hit back swiftly when second-rower Steve Carew stepped off his left foot 7 minutes later to race in under the sticks.

The lead changed for the third time when Albert Tuara dived on a loose ball which bounced backwards into the Belrose in-goal area care of a defensive handling error.

An almost certain four-pointer to Blues winger Grant Britcher was then later disallowed due a forward pass.

Six minutes from half-time, Peter Delaivuna left the Cabramatta defence trailing behind after shooting out of acting dummy-half as quick as a greyhound before feeding the ball to Eagles second-rower Jim Curtis who ran in virtually unmarked.

A crucial decision by Eagles fullback David Pangai to run the ball dead on the kick-return instead of attempting to get the white pill back into the field of play in the end proved costly.

Running the ball back from the drop-out , Cabramatta snatched a 14-12 lead right on half-time after Hala Katoa grabbed his second try of the season.

Finishing their second set with a cross-field kick, the Blues struck again early in the second-half to push their lead out to 20-12 care of a try to Moses Allifaalogo.

Even more impressive was Cabramatta’s ability not to leak any points after later conceding 3 consecutive penalties within a two minute period.

Grant Britcher then made up for his earlier disallowed try when he successfully collected the ball mid-air to deliver the Blues their 5th four-pointer.

Belrose however didn’t let the size of the scoreboard deficit effect their attitude and this showed when they scored next through Todd Barrow to keep the contest alive at 24-16.

Cabramatta’s final try was delivered by centre Allan Burns but even then the Blues weren’t convinced they had executed the knock-out blow.

The Blues suspicions were proven correct when fullback David Pangai scored the only intercept try of the game to get Belrose within six-points of a draw.

Any plans for a late comeback by the visitors were brought to a halt when Blues halfback Adam Tippett successfully kicked the second field-goal attempt of the night to the joy of the 400 spectators on hand.

Cabramatta 29 (H Katoa 2, A Tuara, M Allifaalogo, G Britcher, A Burns tries; A Tippett 2 goals; 1 field goal) d Belrose 22 (S Carew, J Curtis, T Barrow, D Pangai tries; R Plummer 3 goals) at Cabramatta Sports Ground. Ref: Gavin Reynolds.

Other Results:
Sydney Bulls 20 d Windsor 18
Asquith 28 d Mounties 26
Erina 31 d Seven Hills 18
Wentworthville drew with Entrance 22-all
Chester Hill 24 d Shellharbour 16

Top Pointscorers:
S Mowbray (Wentworthville – 11T, 52G = 148 pts)
D Russell (Mounties – 6 T, 54G = 132 pts)
A Moore (Entrance – 16T, 33G = 130 pts)
R Plummer (Belrose – 4T, 43G = 102pts)
A Tippett (Cabramatta – 5T, 40G, 1 FG = 101) - Read More, Here