Tipping Competition2021

Bears yet to roar - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:05:00 GMT
North Sydney remain one of four teams still without a win in this year's Harold Mathews Cup after losing by four-points for a second straight week.

While missing out on the 2 points, the young Bears showed enormous commitment to get back in the game in one of the most penalty laden matches of the round.

“To me the guys showed a hell of a lot of character and commitment to come back. We didn’t play real well in the first half but I thought in the second half they showed a lot of improvement to come back and score the tries they scored.

We were down by 2 tries, it showed a hell of a lot of character and commitment from the kids” claimed Coach Kevin Nicholls.

Penalties led to all 5 tries in the first half, most for infringements in the play the ball. The Tigers were the first to score an unconverted try.

The Bears then began to fire up in defense but ultimately it was a penalty in the play the ball that gave fullback Bevan De Vries a chance to score and even the points to 4 all.

Two consecutive penalties to Norths allowed winger Shane Brown to score and Bevan to convert with all looking swell at 8-4 to the Bears.

However, the whistle blowing continued and penalties for play-the-ball infringements gave the Tigers 2 consecutive tries and handed them a 14-10 lead at the break.

As the second half began the Bears applied some great work to get out of their own half under immense pressure. But the Tigers were next to score directly from a scrum and take the lead to 20-10.

Good pressure by Norths forced a knock-on by the Tigers in their half. With the resulting possession the Bears spread the ball through many hands for centre John Joseph to score.

Continual penalties in the second half turned the Bears passion into frustration with two Norths players sin binned. This however motivated Norths to try harder, and they were rewarded with a try to Sajedul Islam out wide.

For the third week in a row the audience was held in suspense as Jeremy Carruthers attempted to even the scores with a kick out wide – Jeremy was on the money and with 5 minutes left on the clock the score was 20 all.

Penalties again were the culprit in the final minutes of play, allowing Balmain to score out wide on a weakened Bears wing and take the match 24-20.

BALMAIN RYDE-EASTWOOD 24 (7 tries, 6 goals from 7) defeated NORTH SYDNEY 20 (Bevan De Vries, Shane Brown, John Joseph, Sajedul Islam, tries, Bevan De Vries, Jeremy Carruthers 1 goal goal each). Half time 14-10 Balmain Ryde-Eastwood.

Other Harold Mathews results - round 3:

Bulldogs 22 d Manly 16
Souths 28 d Cronulla 18
Illawarra 42 d St George 10
roosters 36 d Central Coast 14
Western Sydney Academy 30 d Canberra 22
Parramatta 48 d SW Sydney Academy 12
Newcastle 48 d WS Academy of Sport 26
Bye defeated Penrith - Read More, Here