Tipping Competition2021

Bears reach finals - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:12:00 GMT
The North Sydney Bears are assured of finishing in the NSWRL Premier League top-8 with a victory at North Sydney Oval on Saturday. There was no better way for the North Sydney club to celebrate their centenary than with a hard fought 24-22 win over arch rivals the Manly Sea Eagles.

On a day when the NSW Fire Brigades Crows Nest Fire Station and the North Sydney Club celebrated their Centenaries with an exchange of gifts, it has been 3 years since Jersey Flegg Coach Josh White took the last North Sydney side in to a finals series in 2004.

However the close win has meant the celebrations have been put on hold as the Bears look to improve their position on the table.

In a surprisingly quiet dressing room after the match coach Wayne Lambkin knew improvement was needed if the Club is to finish with a premiership.

“It’s inevitable that you hit a flat spot after having played so well over the past weeks” claimed Wayne. “There’s a lot of pressure at this part of the season to perform.”

Manly were on top during the first quarter of the match. North Sydney errors and ill discipline leading to Manly continuously being camped in the Bears half. With the weight of possession, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa was able to score a try. Manly were soon out to an 8-nil lead after Sam Key kicked a penalty goal.

North Sydney were able to score their first try in the 30th minute. Eddie Pettybourne had made a good run down the left side of the field and from there the Bears spread the ball to the right where Troy Boston was able to score in the corner.

Soon afterwards Beau Champion made a half-break before getting a quick play the ball to Daniel Irvine who scooted out of dummy half and put a kick in to the in-goal with Shannon Hegarty, Jardine Bobongie and Troy Boston all in the race to get the ball down - Troy the winner.

Norths were able to take the score to 10-8 in the 50th minute after Eddie Paea kicked a penalty goal. But they didn’t hold the lead for long, with Manly running through a hole in the Bears defense a few minutes later.

Norths were able to take the lead again after Eddie Pettybourne threw a great ball to Germaine Paulson who was able to accelerate through the Manly defense to score. Eddie Paea’s conversion took the score to 16-14 to Norths. The Bears did not hold the lead for long, after Manly halfback James Mortimer scored from his own bomb. A Manly penalty goal a few minutes later took their lead to 22-16.

With ten minutes remaining the Bears were able to get within 2 points after Beau Champion threw a cutout pass to Troy Boston who was able to score in the corner. After some strong runs by Ryan Verlinden had the Bears in good field position Daniel Irvine ran from dummy half on the last tackle and passed to Jardine Bobongie who passed to Shannon Hegarty who was in space and he had enough pace to score in the right corner, giving North Sydney the win.

Young Troy Boston was the standout in the backline. Not only scoring 3 tries but also turning out a great game in defense. Showing maturity Troy resisted going for the flashy hit and had the piece of mind to go low on the sizeable Manly forwards.

Dan Irvine was a major contributor to the North Sydney attack and one of the hardest workers on the paddock. Jardine Bobongie and Ryan Verlinden showed some spark in the forwards.

NORTH SYDNEY 24 (Troy Boston 3, Germaine Paulson, Shannon Hegarty Tries; Eddy Paea 2 Goals) def. MANLY WARRIGAH 22 (3 Tries; 5 Goals) - Read More, Here