Tipping Competition2021

All Golds rise to occasion - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:02:00 GMT
New Zealand’s All Golds struck a psychological blow ahead of the Test series with Great Britain with a 25-18 victory over the Northern Union in the Gillette Fusion Centenary International at Warrington.

The last scoring touch of the celebration game was fittingly provided by Kiwi legend Stacey Jones, who came out of retirement to play one final match of a glorious career and kicked all five of his conversions.

Great Britain coach Tony Smith was left with more questions than answers after his side struggled to find any cohesion in a match he had dubbed “the fourth Test”.

Stand-off Danny McGuire provided a timely reminder of his scoring prowess with a brace of tries, one of them a spectacular 90-metre effort, and 19-year-old forward Sam Burgess also caught the eye with some skilful touches that earned him the man-of-the-match award.

Smith was handed an injury concern ahead of the game at Huddersfield Giants, with Hull FC centre Kirk Yeaman limping off on the hour after sustaining ankle ligament damage in scoring his side’s fourth try.

Britain were also handed a couple of disciplinary worries, with Morley and second rower Danny Tickle both place on report for alleged high tackles.

The match, held to commemorate the first-ever international and played under the 1907 rules, was eventually decided by All Golds loose forward Louis Anderson, who will be playing in engage Super League next year with Warrington Wolves.

Leeds Rhinos second rower Ali Lauitiiti also pressed his claims for a call-up for the Gilette Fusion Test series with an impressive two-try display.

The Kiwis are looking for forward replacement for veteran forward David Kidwell, who is to fly home to visit his seriously ill mother.

A break from Burgess set up McGuire for the game’s opening try on 13 minutes but Lauitiiti went over twice in four minutes and substitute Greg Eastwood forced his way from close range in first half injury time to give the tourists a 15-5 interval lead.

Tries from McGuire and substitute hooker Jon Clarke levelled the scores and the Northern Union regained the lead on the hour with Yeaman’s score.

But Anderson nipped over from dummy half on 65 minutes and the Kiwis clinched victory when Leeds centre Clinton Toopi collected Jones’ pass to score their fifth try on the final whistle. - Read More, Here