Tipping Competition2021

A slice of England - Australian Rugby league News
globalrugbyleague - Wed, 09 May 2007 11:06:00 GMT
Millennium Magic proved to be a huge success for Super League with some bruising tackles, sensational tries, and some excellent support.

The attendance for the first day was an outstanding 32,384 and the second day was attended by 26,447, a great effort by the fans.

The weekend kicked off with Harlequins RL defeating Les Catalans 32-28, thanks to a controversial Chad Randall try five minutes from time.

Quins went into the sheds up 18-12 thanks to scores from Andy Smith, Jon Wells and Chad Randall. But the Dragons hit back in the second period with three tries in 11 minutes from John Wilson, Stacey Jones, and then Andrew Bentley.

The French outfit led 28-18 going into the final 20, but tries from Paul Sykes, then Chad Randall from what looked to be a forward pass, gave the Londoners the two points.

Next on the bill was the all Hull derby which was won 14-10 by Hull KR.

Paul Cooke was instrumental in his side’s victory, putting Makali Aizue through a gap to send him crashing over the line after just four minutes.

The Robins controlled the first period and a converted Ben Cockayne try, along with a penalty added by Cooke’s boot sent Hull KR into a 14-0 half time lead.

Hull FC hit back in the second half with two tries themselves through Gareth Raynor and Sid Domic. It was not enough though for Peter Sharpe’s side and Paul Cooke’s boot ultimately settled it.

The final game of the day saw World Club Champions St. Helens crush neighbours Wigan for their seventh win in a row over the Warriors.

Saints outclassed Wigan and led 22-6 at half time, thanks to scores from Francis Meli, two from Paul Wellens, and another from Matt Gidley.

The second half was more competitive, but with Wigan bombing chances and Long and Pryce mesmerising Wigan’s defence, class shone through.

Wellens added another two tries in the second half which was matched by tries for Chris Ashton and Darrell Goulding for Wigan.

Fans turned out in their thousands once again as Huddersfield recorded their sixth Super League win in a row to defeat Wakefield 36-12.

The Giants were dominant in the first half, racking up 20 points to a measly 6 on the board from the Wildcats.

Jon Sharp’s side’s dominance continued in the second period with tries from Robbie Paul, Jamaal Lolesi, and Martin Aspinwall.

Rooney scored late on for the Wildcats, but it proved only to be a consolation. The Giants are now up to fifth, whilst Wakefield has slipped down to eighth.

Warrington thumped Salford 50-18 in the penultimate game of the round. The Wolves led 14-0 before Salford scored through Luke Dorn after 28 minutes.

Henry Faa’fili added another Warrington score to send the Wolves into an 18-6 half time lead.

Paul Cullen’s men were rampant in the second half and further tries from Stuart Reardon, two from Martin Gleeson, Ritchie Barnett, Vinnie Anderson, and Jon Clarke gave Warrington the ten tries victory.

Salford are now three points away from safety at the foot of the league ladder and recent form does not bode well for the Reds.

The final game of Millennium Magic was a cracker as Leeds controversially overhauled Bradford 42-38.

A try from Jordan Tansey in the final minute gave the Rhinos the spoils.

Bradford went into the sheds leading 26-12 with scores from Michael Platt (2), Lesley Vainikolo, and Ian Henderson.

The Rhinos fought back with a quick try three minutes after the restart from Brent Webb, a converted Ben Harris try then gave Bradford an eight point lead once again, before a converted Rob Burrow try cut their lead back down to two.

Andy Lynch then crashed over for the Bulls and looked to have given them the points, but another Webb try gave Leeds hope.

Vainikolo had a try chalked off by the video referee two minutes from time when Matt Cooke was adjudged to be offside.

Sinfield went for the two to give Leeds the draw, but his kick struck the bar and Jordan Tansey reacted the quickest to pick up, touch down, and give Leeds the derby win.

Referee Steve Ganson then issued an apology from the bottom of his heart a day later after replays showed he’d incorrectly awarded Tansey the game-breaker. - Read More, Here